St. Petersburg, also known as the “Sunshine City”, is a beach destination in Florida located between Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico! Even if quite small, this Northwest Florida city has a lot to offer, from stunning beaches to art, culture, and shopping, but it is important to know which area to stay in because each part of the city offers different attractions.
To help you with that, I created this guide with the best neighborhoods where to stay in St. Petersburg, Florida for any interest with accommodation for different budgets.
If you’re in town for the first time, Treasure Island is the best area to stay in St. Petersburg, Fl, otherwise, you will love to stay in St. Pete Beach for an exclusive beach holiday, North Redington Beach for some family fun, Madeira Beach if you’re looking for nightlife or Downtown Saint Petersburg if you’re an art lover.
The only thing you have to remember is to book your favorite hotel at least some months in advance… if you wait until the last minute you could lose the spot! So, ready?
If you are in a hurry
Are you in a hurry to book your accommodation? Then check this list with the best hotels in Saint Petersburg, Florida, for different price ranges:
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Sea Jay Motel and Marina
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Here’s a map for you to understand where are located all the best areas where to stay in St. Petersburg, Fl:
1. Treasure Island – where to stay in St. Petersburg, Fl for the first time
If you’re in St. Petersburg, Florida (not to be confused with St. Petersburg, Russia) for the first time, it is probably to enjoy its relaxed beach life… but you don’t wanna miss the cool attractions and culture of the city center has to offer!
Well, then Treasure Island is the best place for you, located on the beautiful Gulf of Mexico and only 3 miles from St. Petersburg downtown.
This area will offer you a little bit of everything: super long white sand beaches, exciting watersports, and an incredible choice of oceanfront restaurants and bars, including the “world’s longest waterfront bar”: the Gators Cafe & Saloon!
Talking about beaches, here you have to check out Sunset Beach, one of the Saint Petersburg’s most popular beaches on the southern tip of Treasure Island, and Clearwater Beach (it’s a 40-minute drive from Treasure Island, but it’s worth it!), also offering great nightlife!
And if this wasn’t enough, Treasure Island also offers accommodation types for any taste: from luxury to cheap hotels, Airbnb, and family-friendly options. Check them out and remember to book them immediately if you feel like you found the perfect place for you!
This beachfront accommodation is one of the best hotels on Treasure Island if you’re looking for luxury! In fact, this resort offers easy beach access, an incredible rooftop pool from which you can see the best sunsets, and amazing rooms! What’s more, you can choose from a range of elegant and spacious suites… Some of them even feature a hot tub and private terrace!
Other accommodation options in Treasure Island
This hotel on Treasure Island is within walking distance from the beach and offers an amazing outdoor pool
This is the best hotel on Treasure Island if you want to save money and have all the amenities, check it out!
This beachfront property in Treasure Island offers direct access to the ocean and a very cozy vibe
Things to do in Treasure Island
- Have a drink at Gators Cafe & Saloon, the “world’s longest waterfront bar”
- Enjoy a relaxing beach day at Sunset Beach Pavilions
- Eat some seafood with ocean views at Caddy’s Treasure Island
- Engage in some cool watersports like jet skiing or diving
- Go on a romantic sunset sailing boat trip!
2. St. Pete Beach – best area in St. Petersburg, Fl for luxury
St. Pete Beach town, located south of Treasure Island (only a 5 minutes drive) is the ultimate beach destination in St. Petersburg.
In fact, the town is home to award-winning beaches, like the stunning Pass-a-Grille Beach, as well as unique boutiques and galleries, delicious seafood restaurants, and countless luxury hotels!
The St. Pete Beach area is lively from day to late hours of the night, perfect if you also want to enjoy St. Petersburg nightlife. Here you’ll find countless spots where you can have a chill happy hour with sunset views or tiki bars to grab a cocktail when the sun goes down!
And as I already mentioned, the area is also home to fantastic hotels and high-end holiday resorts, so the accommodation prices are quite expensive compared to the ones in the other areas. But if you want to splurge, they might be the perfect choice for you… let’s check them out:
Hilton Garden Inn St. Pete Beach is the best hotel in St. Pete if you want to have a fun vacation full of activities. The property provides private beach access, so from here you can join dolphin sightseeing tours, or go play golf at the Polynesian Putter miniature golf course, just nearby. Otherwise, you can just relax either at the outdoor pool or in the heated pool… both great choices!
Other accommodation options in St. Pete Beach
This is the best hotel in St. Pete Beach if you’re looking for great value, offering a heated outdoor pool
If you want to stay on a budget in St. Pete Beach, this is the hotel for you with a great heated pool to fully relax
This incredible beach studio in St. Pete Beach is perfect for a holiday with the family or friends, hosting 4 people
There are so many great luxury choices in St. Pete Beach that I thought I would give you some extra options to choose from! Check out these 3 amazing hotels:
- Treasure Island Beach Resort – Located in St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island Beach Resort is within walking distance of the white sandy beaches of the Gulf of Mexico. In this luxury hotel in St. Pete, you can spend your days relaxing by the outdoor swimming pool, eating signature meals at the on-site restaurant, or working out in the fitness center… What else do you need?
- Plaza Beach Hotel – Beachfront Resort – Located just a 1-minute walk from the beach, this stunning hotel will offer you white sandy beaches within walking distance from the best entertainment, shopping, and sightseeing spots of St. Pete Beach! Here you can enjoy a daily social hour with beer and wine, relax in the heated outdoor swimming pool on-site, or engage in parasailing, jet skiing, and other water sports close by!
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites – If you are looking for a place to fully relax in St. Pete Beach, you just found it! Holiday Inn Express & Suites St. Pete will spoil you with an outdoor swimming pool and a wellness area where you can get some amazing body treatment at the full-service spa! You‘ll also fall in love with the rooms, fully equipped with a hot tub and perfect for a stay in St. Petersburg with the family.
Things to do in St. Pete Beach
- Grab some food and have a sunset picnic on St. Pete Beach!
- Explore St. Pete Beach at night in a cool light-up kayak
- Relax and soak up some sun at Pass-a-Grille Beach
- Head out on a beautiful dolphin-watching cruise from St. Pete Beach
- Spend some time playing sports or relaxing at Egan Park
- Have a drink with live music at Jimmy B’s Beach Bar
- Go paddling in a clear kayak to admire Tampa Bay’s underwater world
- Go play minigolf at the Polynesian Putter golf course!
3. North Redington Beach – best area to stay in St. Petersburg for families
North Redington Beach is a small beach town conveniently located between Clearwater Beach and Saint Petersburg, offering a super relaxing and friendly vibe with long beaches… perfect for a family vacation!
In fact, more popular than the other areas, North Redington Beach is home to quiet (but beautiful) beaches that you can enjoy without being overwhelmed by tourist crowds: get ready to swim, fish, and just chill in complete peacefulness!
This is also the closest area to the stunning and super popular Clearwater Beach. In fact, in a short 30-minute ride you’ll have access to this white-sand beach, voted the best beach in North America for the past 3 years!
And regarding accommodation, here you’ll find plenty of it, from luxury hotels to beachfront resorts… most of them between mid-range and luxury prices. Check out my top choices:
This amazing resort has the perfect location directly on North Redington Beach and offers semi-private beach access. After a relaxing beach day, have a drink at the bar while you enjoy the beautiful sunset (if you ask me, the perfect happy hour!) and enjoy a delicious seafood dinner at Mangos Veranda restaurant, located on-site!
Other accommodation in North Redington Beach
Find the best value for price in this great midrange hotel, with an outdoor swimming pool and free WiFi in all rooms
This is the best hotel if you want to save some money in North Redington Beach with a cool pool and barbeque area
Cozy studio close in a quiet area close to parks and white beaches… perfect for a romantic getaway!
Things to do in North Redington Beach
- Watch the best sunsets at Clearwater beach, from Pier 60
- Browse the cool independent shops of Central Avenue
- Just swim, fish, and chill in complete peacefulness in North Redington Beach
4. Madeira Beach & John’s Pass Village – where to stay for nightlife
Located a short 10-minute drive north of Treasure Island, Madeira Beach offers the perfect combination between lively nightlife and a chill beach vibe.
For this reason, it attracts many young visitors from nearby Florida towns, like Tampa or Orlando.
And once here you won’t wonder why: Madeira Beach (locally known as Mad Beach) is home to countless bars and restaurants, most of them concentrated in the super popular 1,100-foot John’s Pass Village and Boardwalk.
The boardwalk is perfect to spend a chill evening strolling around, browsing the beautiful shops, and snacking in the many eateries… you could even spot some dolphins: keep your eyes open!
And when the sun goes down, get ready to hit the cool clubs of the area.
You won’t have any problem finding accommodation in Madeira Beach, offering many resorts, vacation rentals, and beautiful beachfront hotels… the perfect base for a fun holiday!
Check out this incredible boutique hotel in Madeira Beach giving you access to your own private beach where you can soak up some sun in total privacy! Here you can gaze at the incredible views of the Gulf of Mexico either from your studio or from the heated outdoor pool… one of the best spectacles to watch in St. Petersburg!
Other accommodation options in Madeira Beach
Shoreline Island Resort is just perfect for a getaway in Madeira Beach, with a nice rooftop pool, hot tub, and bar
If you want to stay in Madeira Beach on a budget and also enjoy the local attractions, this hotel is for you!
Looking for a weekend getaway from the city? Check out this condo in Madeira Beach, with beach access
Things to do in Madeira Beach
- Browse the shops, bars, and restaurants of John’s Pass Village & Boardwalk
- Try the best grouper fish of your life in one of Madeira Beach restaurants
- Honor the past at the War Veterans Memorial Park
- Have a picnic at Archibald Beach Park
- Buy some of the freshest seafood at the Wild Seafood Market
- Have refreshing pre-party cocktails at Bamboo Beach Bar
- Enjoy a great night out at the Mad Pub
- Step aboard an evening cruise for dinner and drinks!
5. Downtown – where to stay in Saint Petersburg for culture
Downtown Saint Petersburg, also known as Saint Petersburg city center, is the real heart of the city, perfect for art and culture lovers! In fact, St. Petersburg’s city center is named “One of the Best Street Art Cities in the World,” for its colorful graffiti and creative vibe.
If you decide to stay here, check out the inspiring Waterfront Arts District, home to many art galleries and museums, including the famous Dali Museum.
And to take a mental break from all the stimuli you’ll receive, you can stop to have lunch in one of the many classy artsy restaurants or go browsing the cool boutique shops of the area!
But if one day you feel like hitting the beach, you can easily reach St. Pete Beach in only 20 minutes by car, or any other area with an efficient public transport system.
Its location a little further from the ocean compared to the other neighborhoods, also makes it perfect if you want to stay on a budget: here you’ll find many cheap and good hotels… What else do you need?
Hyatt Place St. Petersburg is conveniently located in the middle of Downtown St. Petersburg, within walking distance of all the best local attractions. Some examples? The Mahaffey Theatre, Dali Museum, or Holocaust Museum… you’ll have plenty to do here! And to take the energy to visit all these interesting spots, have an excellent breakfast in the morning… it’s included in the price!
Other options in Downtown Saint Petersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown St. Petersburg has conveniently located nearby the Museum of Fine Arts
Relax in the Jacuzzi tub or lounge on the balcony of this vintage apartment in Downtown St. Petersburg
Things to do in Downtown St. Petersburg
|👑 Luxury price:||$350|
|💵 Mid Range:||$250|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||High|
|📍 Best area:||Treasure Island|
|👪 Best area for families:||North Redington Beach|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Fusion Resort Suites|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Silver Sands|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Sea Jay Motel and Marina|
Frequently asked questions about hotels in St. Petersburg
📍 Which is the best area to stay in St. Petersburg, Fl?
The best area to stay in St. Petersburg, Fl for your first time is Treasure Island, at the luxury Fusion Resort Suites or the more affordable option Silver Sands.
🏖️ Which is the best area where to stay on the beach in St. Petersburg, Fl?
👪 Which is the best area where to stay in St. Petersburg, Fl for families?
💵 Where to stay in St. Petersburg, Fl on a budget?
Here we are at the end of this extensive guide on where to stay in St. Petersburg, Florida, a beach town located between Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
We saw all the best areas and best St. Petersburg hotels: from luxury hotels to budget-friendly hotels and vacation rentals directly on the beach! By now, you should know which one is your favorite for your travel needs and budget.
If you’re still undecided, check out my 2 absolute TOP choices, with great location and value for the price:
- Treasure Island Beach Resort – this is one of the most popular hotels in Saint Petersburg, within walking distance of the white sandy beaches of the Gulf of Mexico
- Silver Sands – check out this amazing midrange option in Saint Petersburg, offering direct beach access and great value for the price
If you would like any of these amazing hotels to stay in Saint Petersburg, Florida, then book them as far in advance as you can… or you could lose the spot!
I hope you enjoyed my guide and that it was helpful for your holiday in Saint Petersburg… but if you still have some doubts, please leave your questions in the comments below, I will answer you as fast as I can!
In the meantime,
Have a great holiday!