Moorea is a paradisiac island of French Polynesia, located super close to Tahiti. With its tropical green landscapes, turquoise waters, gorgeous white sand beaches and volcanic mountains, there’s no wonder why Moorea is known as the ‘Magical Island’ (and is one of the top destinations for honeymoons)!
This beautiful island offers an incredible number of different accommodation options, and which one you choose can really make a difference on your vacation. For this reason, I decided to write this guide with the best hotels where to stay in Moorea, broken down by interest.
From luxurious Moorea resorts to traditional bungalows right on the water, family-friendly hotels, and cozy holiday homes, here you’ll find the best Moorea hotels for literally any travel need and budget.
But if you want to make sure you have a spot for your dreamy vacation in Moorea Island, make sure you book your hotel some months in advance or you could miss the chance to visit this dreamy place.
Let’s start our journey!
If you are in a hurry
Here’s a quick list of the best hotels in Moorea, broken down by interest, in case you don’t have time to read the whole article:
Check out this map to see where all the Moorea hotels that I will be talking about in this article are located:
1. Best family-friendly hotels where to stay in Moorea
With its laid-back atmosphere, incredible nature, and offer of outdoor activities, Moorea is the perfect place for a holiday with the family. And as you can see, it also has a great number of family-friendly hotels!
Here is a convenient list of the best hotels for families, offering spacious rooms, entertainment for all ages, cool activities, and kids-friendly facilities… so no one will be let down! Let’s check them out:
Luxury (US$300 and up)
- Hôtel Fenua Mata’i’oa – set in a unique tropical garden in Tiahura Beach, this waterfront Moorea hotel is perfect for a vacation full of comforts! Here you can relax in the outdoor hot tub or on your own private beach, and have a refreshing Tahiti drink at the on-site bar. But the hotel also offers many water sports activities to do with the family-like windsurfing, fishing, diving, canoeing, and free snorkeling equipment!
Mid Range (US$150 – US$300)
- Poerani Moorea – this mid-range Moorea hotel offers great value for the price and the best family-friendly rooms, with free wifi, a private bathroom, and sea or garden views! Here you’ll have access to a private beach area, a rental car service if you want to explore the area and even free kayaks. The hotel is also centrally located between beautiful beaches, like Ta’ahiamanu Beach and Temae Beach, and souvenir shops!
- Chez Jay Moorea Beach House – check out this amazing guest house right on the beach featuring beautiful lush gardens, a private beach area, and barbecue facilities to cook some cozy dinners! The beach houses are perfect for a stay with the family, hosting up to 6 guests and offering free wifi, a fully equipped kitchen, and a patio with sea views. Another plus? The staff is super friendly and helpful!
- Moorea Sunset Beach – This amazing property is located literally a 1-minute walk from the beach and offers family-friendly accommodations, hosting up to 6 guests. Here you can stay in beach or garden bungalows and they all offer private balconies to gaze at incredible ocean views plus a fully equipped kitchen to cook delicious dinners in total privacy! Check out the pictures… I am sure you will love them!
Budget (up to US$150)
- Haere Mai I Te Fare – located only 1 mile from Temae Beach, this hotel is a real oasis of peace, nestled in green lush gardens! Here you’ll sleep in family rooms with a private terrace, eat delicious meals in the on-site restaurant, or engage in cool outdoor activities like hiking, snorkeling, and cycling. This is also a centrally located place, close to the mountains, beaches, and the airport… so you can easily get everywhere!
2. Best overwater bungalows in Moorea
Similar to its sister island of Tahiti, Moorea is dotted with some stunning overwater bungalows. This is hands-down one of the best ways to enjoy the untouched nature of the island… I mean, you are literally sleeping above turquoise waters and tropical fishes!
I gathered here a list of the most beautiful resorts offering overwater bungalows and absolutely fantastic views! They are all located on beautiful beaches or famous bays like Cook’s Bay or Oponohu Bay: the perfect spot for a romantic and tranquil getaway.
Just take into consideration that the accommodations below are all luxury (US$500 and up), so the price range is quite high:
- Sofitel Ia Ora Moorea Beach Resort – Sofitel Kia Ora Moorea Beach Resort is one of the best Moorea resorts boasting spectacular views of the crystal lagoon and of Tahiti Island! The resort offers elegant bungalows, a swimming pool, and an on-site restaurant where you’ll try local flavors mixed with traditional French cuisine. Otherwise, the poolside bar or beach bar is an idyllic setting to enjoy a tropical drink!
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa – nestled between 2 beautiful bays of Moorea, (Cook’s Bay and Opunohu Bay), this luxurious resort has elegant bungalows suspended above a turquoise lagoon. Your overwater bungalow comes with a private plunge pool and a glass-bottomed table so you can enjoy views of the marine life below! Here you can relax in the outdoor pool, stay fit at the fitness center or play on the tennis court!
- Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea – Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea is a traditional Polynesian-style resort, only 2 miles from the magnificent Cook’s Bay. In addition, to overwater bungalows, check out the beautiful garden bungalows which come with private plunge pools! Otherwise, there’s an infinity pool where you can relax while gazing at the best sea views! Another plus? You can get massages and beauty treatments at the on-site spa.
3. Top beachfront hotels for Snorkeling in Moorea
One of the best things you can do in Moorea tropical island is to explore the wild marine life of its crystal clear waters: colorful fishes, reef sharks, corals… there’s a world underwater that you don’t know about!
If you don’t want to rent a car or walk long distances to reach the best snorkeling beaches, no worries! I selected the best hotels in Moorea that will give you easy access to water activities, a private beach area, onsite rentals, and much more!
Luxury (US$300 and up)
- Robinson’s Cove Villas – This incredible luxury resort is located on a private beach with the bluest water you will ever see. With free snorkel and kayak rental, you could easily spend your entire vacation here exploring the underwater world. Enjoy the outdoor bbq area and read up on the region at the hotel’s in-depth library or from your cozy villa!
Mid Range (US$150 – US$300)
- Moorea Island Beach Hotel – Moorea island Beach hotel is one of the best Moorea hotels if you love outdoor activities! In fact, it has a private beach area, great for snorkeling, swimming, or just relaxing, but you can also enjoy other activities in the close surroundings like cycling or canoeing. And I am sure you’ll love the rooms, offering views of the tropical garden or the sea, and a private terrace.
- Lagoon Dream – This beautiful 4-star hotel has an amazing tropical garden with an infinity pool: the best setting to stay in Moorea in complete relaxation! The property offers fully equipped holiday homes with access to a beautiful white sand beach, perfect for snorkeling. And if you want to explore the nearby area, there are free bikes available for guests to use!
Budget (up to US$150)
- Séjour insolite voilier Mori Ora – If you really love the ocean and you want to have a unique stay in Moorea, you should check out this fabulous boat, located in Ta’ahiamanu Beach. The hosts will bring you to have an unforgettable snorkeling experience: get ready to see stingrays, sharks, and turtles! Otherwise, you can also go canoeing or hiking in the close area… what else do you need?
- Te Ora Hau Ecolodge – This incredible eco-lodge is located along a beautiful white sand beach, the best setting to engage in water activities like snorkeling, paddle boarding, and kayaking (the hotel has a kayak rental!). Here you will sleep in fully equipped bungalows, cook your dinners in a private kitchenette, and enjoy them in a dining area with sea and mountain views!
4. Great Holiday homes and bungalows to stay in Moorea
The most popular accommodation options on the island are definitely the traditional bungalows made from natural materials and nestled in nature, usually offering garden or beach views.
Bungalows and holiday homes are great if you want to enjoy the privacy of having your own space but at the same time have access to amenities like a swimming pool, tennis court, free parking, tour companies, etc.
Check out the best bungalows and holiday homes in Moorea, French Polynesia:
Luxury (US$250 and up)
- Moorea Beach Lodge – Moorea Beach Lodge offers quiet bungalows with amazing locations with access to a lagoon and private beach! Here you can spend your days relaxing on the white sand, kayaking, or biking in the green natural landscapes of the island. And when the sun goes down, make sure you watch the absolutely fantastic sunsets while sipping a drink at the on-site bar!
Mid Range (US$150 – US$250)
- Linareva Moorea Beach Resort – this is one of the best Moorea resorts, offering beachfront bungalows in typical French Polynesian style. Here they will serve you breakfast every morning on the outdoor deck or private veranda… Can you think of a better way to start your day? And then you’ll have the right energy to borrow canoes, bicycles, and snorkeling equipment from the resort and have some fun outside!
- Moorea Happy Bungalow – This property is a few steps from the beach and offers breathtaking views of Tahiti Island. Here you’ll sleep in fully equipped bungalows with air conditioning and private balconies, relax in the private outdoor pool, or go snorkeling on the nearby beaches! The local hosts are also super friendly and helpful, so don’t hesitate to ask them for some tips to explore the island!
- Moorea Golf Lodge – Check out these amazing bungalows with a great central location, just a 10-minute walk from a private beach. The property is also just 5 minutes walk from the internationally renowned Moorea Green Pearl Golf Course, so you can go playing at any time! Otherwise, you can enjoy a drink at the onsite bar, eat delicious dinners at the restaurant or enjoy water activities like snorkeling!
- Fare Tokoau Moorea – If you want to have an authentic stay in Moorea, this beachfront property is for you, run by a local (and very friendly) family of French Polynesia. These very simple bungalows offer great value for the price, and they are perfect if you want to save money. This is also one of the best spots on the island to see breathtaking sunsets… make sure you don’t miss them!
Budget (up to US$150)
- Village Temanoha – Situated in the mountains of Moorea, this secluded bungalow village features an outdoor pool and both mountain and garden views. In your family-friendly or private bungalow, you can prepare a lovely meal in the fully equipped kitchen to enjoy on the private terrace. The property also offers a free shuttle service to the airport, located only 6 miles away!
- Apartment Studio Halfon – If you want to have all the comforts of your own space at great prices, check out this fully equipped apartment! Here you’ll have everything you need: a kitchen, comfy beds, access to free parking, and very helpful staff. The property location is also perfect, just a 10-minute drive from the airport. They even provide an airport pick-up and drop-off service at way cheaper fares than taxis!
5. Top Airbnbs in Moorea
If you prefer to have your own privacy during your holiday, there are many Airbnbs where you can stay in Moorea. From beach houses to cozy villas and entire studios, most of them are even within walking distance of beautiful beaches!
I selected the best ones on the entire island, where you can enjoy the best amenities, cook your own meals in your fully equipped kitchen and wake up with amazing sea views… check them out:
Luxury (US$300 and up)
- Luxury Tropical Moorea Villa – check out this luxury villa nestled in a natural tropical garden with stunning 180° views of the magic mountain! The villa is fully equipped with 2 air-conditioned bedrooms, a big living space, a kitchen, and a private terrace where you can relax in the hot tub. These villas are perfect for a tranquil stay with family or friends, hosting up to 6 people!
Mid Range (US$150 – US$300)
- Cocobulle & Spa Moorea – these garden bungalows have the perfect location, walking distance from the best beaches on the island and completely nestled in lush gardens! Here you can relax in your private spa while you listen to the sounds of nature and enjoy all the modern comforts. The perfect place to stay in Moorea with your loved ones or family to recharge the batteries!
- Studio Cozy et Moderne – if you’re looking for a cozy place to stay in Moorea for a romantic getaway, this is the right one! This modern and clean studio has a private pool and terrace with stunning views of the pierced mountains. Here you can go hiking on the many trails just nearby, and enjoy a delicious dinner with your special one… cooked in your private kitchen!
Budget (up to US$150)
- Wood Beach House Moorea – Located on the edge of the lagoon, in this little exotic wooden bungalow you’ll have access to a nice pool and your own private beach! The beach is perfect to engage in water activities like snorkeling as there is a beautiful coral garden to explore (if you’re lucky you can even see reef sharks). Perfect for couples or small families!
Frequently asked questions about where to stay in Moorea
🏰 Which are the best hotels where to stay in Moorea, French Polynesia?
The best hotels in Moorea, French Polynesia, are the luxury Haere Mai I Te Fare, featuring an amazing garden and a delicious hotel restaurant, or Hôtel Fenua Mata’i’oa waterfront property, offering a private beach and water sports activities.
🌊 Which is the best overwater bungalow where to stay in Moorea, French Polynesia?
The best overwater bungalow in Moorea, French Polynesia is Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa, nestled between 2 beautiful bays of Moorea, Cook’s Bay, and Opunohu Bay, featuring glass-bottomed tables with views of the marine life below!
🏠 Which are the best holiday homes in Moorea, French Polynesia?
The best holiday home to stay in Moorea, French Polynesia is Linareva Moorea Beach Resort offering beachfront bungalows in typical French Polynesian style, or the budget-friendly option Fare Tokoau Moorea, where you’ll enjoy the best sunsets on the island!
🐠 Which are the best things to do in Moorea, French Polynesia?
The best things to do in Moorea are relaxing on the pristine beaches, snorkeling amongst the reefs, hiking in the Magical mountain, and gazing at the natural panoramas of two stunning bays: Cook’s Bay and Opunohu Bay
📅 How many days do you need in Moorea?
5-7 days in Moorea is a good amount of time to enjoy some relaxation and explore the beautiful natural spots of the island. But if you come here for your honeymoon, you can definitely stay longer!
Congrats! You reached the end of this extensive article with the best accommodation options on Moorea island for any interest!
Whether you’re looking for a luxury resort, an overwater bungalow, a cozy holiday home, or a beachfront hotel with access to the best snorkeling beaches, here you’ll find where to stay in Moorea for your ideal holiday.
We’ve been through so many options that I understand if you are a little overwhelmed with choices to find the best place to stay in Moorea for you, so I will help you with my 2 favorite hotels:
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa – an amazing resort nestled between Cook’s Bay and Opunohu Bay, with glass-bottomed rooms offering views of the marine life
- Poerani Moorea – this great mid-range Moorea hotel offers the best family-friendly rooms, with free wifi, a private bathroom, and sea or garden views!
I hope my guide will help you find the accommodation of your dreams, and that you enjoyed reading that as much as I did writing it for you. And if you have any questions for me, please share them in the comments below… I will answer you as soon as I can!
Last thing: make sure you book your favorite hotel far in advance… Everyone wants a spot in paradise and I wouldn’t want you to miss out!
Have a wonderful holiday!